The Path To A Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout

For the past several years I have run a particular carbine of mine with a MOE hand-guard and some simple features.  This carbine is a pre-2009 (large pin, restricted roll mark LE6920).  At the time, it also featured a Larue BUIS, Aimpoint M3, and standard trigger.  As we all know, the "black rifle disease" has a tendency to corrupt ones mind with material desires, covetousness and the urge to always get one more gun and or better add on's to enhance an existing platform.  This is the story of what happened to this 6920 during a serious bout of "black rifle disease".  The carbine mentioned here is pictured on the right side.

6920 Right


For a few years, the MOE met my needs. Over time I began to want to make changes.  However rather than, as a friend of mine put it, "Drag it through a Brownells catalog with a crap magnet", I waited until I knew what I wanted to do before buying anything else.  After all, the gun was set up better than 99% of the carbines most shooters will come across.

Well, the impetus to make the changes came, after the nation entered a fit of irrational, emotional, and illogical,  hoplophobia; December of 2012.  I will not discuss those times here other than that reference.  The timing of the "events" coincided with a need for me to begin a new project; building a new work carbine.  I had set out to spec out a MK18, and finding parts looked to be a daunting task.  Supply of any components were disappearing.

I decided to use the pre-2009 6920 lower as the one to be NFA registered, and (another long story for later) purchased a MK18 upper (still yet to arrive) from Daniel Defense.  The MK18 build stealing my lower, left me with the 16" Colt upper, complete with a Smith Vortex, MOE handguard, M3, Larue BUIS, and Gunfighter Mod 4 CH.  Well, the Aimpoint is moving to the MK18 as soon as it is complete, leaving me without glass on the Colt.

I decided to buy another 6920 (small pin, M4 roll-mark  and sell its upper, keeping the lower for the 16" Colt upper who no longer had a mate.  I actually accomplished that task in January 2013 believe it or not.

Prepping the upper by wrapping in socks and yes Duct tape.

Dad performing surgery
Lost yet?  With the acquisition of lowers being solved I purchased a TA01NSN, traded the Larue BUIS for a KAC flip up BUIS 200-600m, ordered a Geissele SSA-E, and began searching for a rail.  The reason for finally getting a cheese grater on the front of one of my guns was mainly to get free float capability (accuracy), but also durability and options for rail-estate in the future.  I searched high and low for a DD Omega 7.0.  Ha ha ha ha!  They are no where to be found.  Then I learned of the Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout, a rail made of course by Centurion, founded by a active Navy Seal.

Centurions are a free float, 2-piece rail that lock onto the existing barrel nut, however require the removal of the hand-guard stop and delta ring, spring and clamp.  They are affordable ($266 Rainierarms price), especially when you find them in stock while the DD 7.0's are closing on ebay for over $450 because nobody can stock them.

At first I was hesitant, because of the modifications required to place a Centurion.  This hesitation faded with watching a few youtube videos of installs as well as reading the manufacturers directions.  Finding one was easy and luckily my dad loves dremel tools, and weird projects such as this.

In one afternoon we put a new grip on the lower, a Magpul trigger guard (aluminum), Geissele SSA-E installed, and then performed surgery, placing the C4 Carbine Cutout.  After clean-up, the BUIS and ACOG were placed.

6920 Now
The 6920, had gone through a complete make-over.  I can say now that this gun is done son!  It has become perhaps my favorite of the quiver of "black rifles".  Precise, durable, versatile, and nearly identical to many carbines in theater.

The Centurion offers plenty of forward grip space, endless options for bi-pods, light, laser, etc.  The rail is free float, taking optimum advantage of the precision glass of the ACOG, coupled with the crisp break of the SSA-E trigger by Geissele Automatics and the accuracy enhancements that are supposedly inherit to the Smith Vortex flash hider.  Did I mention the comfort offered by the VLTOR Emod cheek weld?



I hope you enjoyed the blog and video.  Perhaps you are in the middle of a build, or setting up a platform similar to this.  Stand by for updates on targets and performance video of this carbine IN ACTION.  As always, I welcome your feedback, conversation, comments and interest.  Thank you for stopping by.